TCTELA Turns Fifty:
A Look Back at 1964-65
As TCTELA prepares to celebrate at its fiftieth conference next January, let’s take a quick look at the landscape that was 1964 America. Fifty years ago:
- The Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show which started the British Invasion of American
- Hello Dolly! premiered on Broadway;
- The first Ford Mustang rolled off the assembly line;
- The Rolling Stones released their first album;
- The United States military had 21,000 servicemen
deployed in Vietnam;
- Mary Poppins thrilled young and old at the movies;
- Bewitched, Jeopardy, and the Tonight Show were popular television shows;
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize; and
- Your TCTELA president, Tim Martindell, started kindergarten.
Fifty years ago the seeds were planted to establish the Texas Joint Council of Teachers of English – the forerunner of the Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts (TCTELA). In preparation for next January, TCTELA board members will need you, our members, to help us research our history, tell our collective and individual stories of teaching, and advocate for teachers and students with our legislators.